Construction Approval Process; How to get building permit in Kenya
Construction approval process.
There are three main approval stages in the building plan approvals in Kenya. Namely:
- County Government Approvals
- NEMA Approvals
- Project Registration by National Construction Authority (NCA)
1.County Government Approvals
- -Architectural drawings behind them a registered Architect/Firm by BORAQS.
- -Structural drawings behind them a registered Structural Engineer/Firm registered by ERB.
- -Land ownership document (Tittle deed/Share Certificate/ lease document)
- -Land rates Clearance Certificate
- -Land search document (Not more than three Months old)
- -Mutation/Survey map
- -Approval fee (Determined by your design)
2. NEMA Approvals
For Commercial projects, NEMA Project registration is required.
- Obtain a project report from a Licensed environmental expert(registered).
- Submit the Report together with County Approved drawings for NEMA approval and Registration
3.Project Registration by National Construction Authority (NCA)
- -Contractor registered by NCA
- -Registered Architect/Firm
- -Registered Engineer/Firm
- -Approved Architectural and Structural drawings.
- -NEMA certificate.
- -Client’s KRA certificate.
- -Bill of Quantity (B.o.Q) Summary
- -Client and Contractor signed contract documents.
WHAT DOES A COMPLIANT CONSTRUCTION SITE ENTAILS?
- Site signboard Showing all approvals and professionals engaged in the project.
- N.C.A registered Contractor
- Safety sign
- Personal Protective Equipment [P.P.E]
- Sufficient hoarding and fencing
- N.C.A Compliance Certificate
- N.C.A accredited Skilled workers and Site Supervisors.
Also Check: 7 Tips to cut construction costs